The main physiological functions of the heart
- Regulation of the blood and blood flow
- Manage all the blood vessels of the body
- Houses the mind, will and thinking activities
- Master of the internal organs: provide adequate blood flow to organs and tissues to supply oxygen and various nutrients and take away the metabolic end product
- Regulation of body temperature, body fluids and endocrine delivery
Food that is healthy for the heart
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, food that is red in color is beneficial for the heart.
Modern studies have confirmed that there are three red plant pigments that can help with heart and the vascular function.
Anthocyanins are a type of flavonoid that can be seen on petals, fruits and vegetables. It is a red to blue water-soluble natural colored material.
Here are the properties of anthocyanidin
- Clearing free radicals
- Enhance the immune system
- Enhance vascular elasticity and protect the tube wall,
- Maintain the normal flexibility of blood cells to improve the blood circulation, thus reducing chances of heart disease and stroke.
- Prevent atherosclerosis and maintain normal blood pressure by reducing cholesterol deposition on the vessel wall.
- Antiplatelet aggregation and platelet activity factor synthesis;
- Reduce the myocardial infection on the verge of myocardial acid creatine kinase and lactate dehydrogenase release to reduce the infarct size.
Foods containing anthocyanins are red cherry, cranberry, hawthorn, raspberry, beetroots and red rice.
Lycopene is an oxygen-free carotenoid. It can significantly inhibit serum lipid and low density lipoprotein LDL oxidative damage, regulate the metabolism of cholesterol, thereby reducing the incidence of atherosclerosis and coronary heart disease. Scientific research confirmed that increased serum lycopene content can protect the lipid, protein and DNA oxidative damage, thus prevent the occurrence of cardiovascular disease.
Foods containing lycopene are watermelon, tomato, red pepper, tomatoes and pink grapefruit.
Capsanthin is a kind of carotenoid pigment present in mature red pepper fruit. In it , the beta-carotene can prevent the formation of harmful low-density lipoprotein, so as not to damage the arrangement of the cells on the vascular wall which will lead to the prevention of thrombosis (blood clotting).